APM Project Management Conference 2015: Myth Busting
Dispelling the myths to improve project delivery success
At the APM Project Management Conference 2014 keynote speaker Camila Batmanghelidjh CBE stunned her audience by stating her mission; “to create a compelling evidence base for the power of social change.” To many, this would seem ephemeral and imprecise, but for someone who dedicated her life to helping neglected and unloved children, she was deadly serious.
If the power of social change can be proven scientifically, then so can the power of project management. The APM Project Management Conference 2015 set out to do just that, to provide the evidence base for the power of project management. The first step in this mission was to expose the great myths that cloud both the perception of the profession and the delivery of successful projects, programmes and portfolios in the UK and around the world.
Myth Busting brought together speakers from within the profession and thought leaders from outside to address what we have always thought, but never said; how project management as it is written is rarely project management as it really is.
Watch speaker interviews from the APM Conference 2015:
- Opening speaker - Dr Ben Goldacre, award-winning writer and "Bad Science" columnist for The Guardian
- Closing Speaker - Matthew Syed, award-winning sports journalist and Commonwealth Games champion
- Geraldine Barker, director at the National Audit Office
Lessons from major rail infrastructure programmes
- Will Bentley, programme control director, HS2 Ltd
Myth around the role of the PMO
- Caroline Blackman, director for Laing O'Rourke
- Manon Bradley, development director, Major Projects Association
We all want greater diversity in projects
- Andy Cooke, management consultant, PA Consulting
Good to great: Integrating systems engineering and project management to enable exceptional performance
- Jason Dalrymple, senior project manager, NATS
Process delivers projects? The COAST experience
- Adrian Dooley, lead author of the Praxis Framework
The myth of silver bullets
- Dr Linda Holbeche, co-director of Holbeche Partnership
- Bridget Jackson, audit manager at the National Audit Office
- Cliff Jones, Senior policy and performance manager - ProCure21+, Department of Health
Dispelling NEC contract myths: Procure 21+
- Martin Monaghan, senior project and implementation manager, DHL Supply Chain
You need to be a subject matter expert to be an outstanding project manager
- John Pelton MBE, programme partner director (Transcend), Crossrail
Innovation - A risk too far?
- Dr David Pendleton, co-founder of Edgecumbe Group
The myth of becoming a complete leader
- Kate Rooke, management consultant, PA Consulting