Programme Manager - Edinburgh & South East Scotland City Region Deal
As Programme Manager for the overall Edinburgh and South East Scotland City Region Deal, Andy is responsible for providing direction to programmes, projects and initiatives to ensure that they meet the overarching vison, strategy and objectives of the City Region Deal. Andy is day to day lead for engaging with Scottish and UK governments, providing a focal point for the Deal and in supporting the key governance elements, supporting members and building competence.
The Edinburgh and South-East Scotland City Region comprises of six local authority areas and accounts for 24% of the Scottish population. A city region deal is a mechanism for accelerating the regional economy through the focussed application of significant public, private and third sector investment. With data-driven innovation at its core, the £1.3 billion Edinburgh and South East Scotland City Region Deal will drive economic growth whilst tackling regional inequality and deprivation in a partnership that involves two governments, six local authorities, the higher and further education institutes of the region and the third sector.
Through practical examples Andy, Ritchie and John will discuss what it is like at the coal-face of such an initiative activity, including:
- Adaptive Management: the impact of a changing Scottish, UK and global political environment, and how this has affected the Deal;
- The Power of Collaboration: the critical importance of trusted long-term relationships between partners, and how these can be developed;
- Managing the Mixing Desk: the importance of soft skills in delivering a successful partnership;
- Riding the Change Curve: the role of the Data Driven Innovation Programme within the Deal, and the challenges of being an innovation renegade; and,
- Control in a Messy Environment: whether the innovation approach of organisations can be transformed into a strategic, high impact core activity.