APM National Conference for Women in Project Management 2018
In its 25th Year the APM Women in Project Management (WiPM) SIG proudly presented its annual conference sponsored by BAE Systems. Held on Tuesday 25 September at the Grand Connaught Rooms, London, delegates were inspired by a strong line-up of speakers that educated and evoked in-depth discussion around the 2018 theme Empowerment.
Delegates enjoyed a broad selection of takeaways from the sessions to apply to their life and career after the conference. Here are some of the highlights:
- A well rounded PM and PMO will succeed – processes can only take you so far, and communication and leadership are essential.
- Gender and inequality is a global challenge. Empowerment for global project managers means understanding the context, managing the challenge through project design and implementation and developing for impact.
- In your career, remember to reflect and take stock but also be alert for opportunities.
- Empowerment takes two – the empowerer and the empowered – and needs constant backup and adjustment.
- Don’t fear failure – seize the initiative, empower yourself and go for it!
Olympic, World and European medallist, Commonwealth Champion.
Emma Dutton MBE
Co-founder and managing director, Applied Influence Group
Project Management Advisor, Infrastructure & Project Management Group, UNOPS