Now what was I saying about portfolio management being holistic?
Part 6 of a farce in 6 parts – the bit that isn’t farce. Why not help 'David' by posting your answers below?
As you can tell, the recent blogs were a bit of a spoof. These were parochial solutions developed to solve problems from specific interest groups – all of whom had the ability to introduce something, but not the right thing or the whole thing.
In each of those examples:
- some of the problem was understood – but not all of it.
- A partial solution was developed that could be delivered – where perhaps the bigger picture should have been dealt with.
- stakeholders were laughably not engaged
- Benefits were not really thought through or mapped to anyone’s problem
This is why, in the APM Portfolio Management SIG – we are looking to widen the appreciation of:
- needing a holistic approach to defining and implementing portfolio management solutions, and
- needing to work with very senior management to get the right backing and drive to provide the right solution coverage
Maybe next time I can avoid getting all kinds of stick for doing what I thought was the right thing.
What do you think?