- 30 January 2019
CS4 3rd Floor Barnwell House Airbus Filton BRISTOL BS99 7AR
Book this event
Member ticket: FREE
Non member ticket: £10.00
South Wales and West of England branch
Are you making these risk management mistakes?
If you are a project manager, project management office (PMO) manager, finance director or someone whose career is dependent on delivering projects successfully, then you will probably be experiencing one or more of these issues:
- You’re fed up with fighting your colleagues for additional funding to finish your projects.
- You’re sick with worry because you’re dealing with an imminent project failure that will cost your company millions.
- You’re unable to sleep at night because you fear being fired in the morning.
- You’re wondering whether your company will still exist in five years' time because you are losing market share to your competitors and struggling to survive.
From his 20 years' experience as a project management consultant, Bryan Barrow will show you how to maximise business value by minimising project risk.
Risk management is an essential part of project management. It is also one of its least understood and utilised aspects. This goes some way towards explaining why so many projects finish late and over budget, if they finish at all.
The annual cost to companies and to the economy of poor risk management is measured in billions, and affects each and every one of us, and some organisations never overcome a significant project failure.
By the end of this keynote, delegates will:
- Know the key mistakes that cause their projects and programmes to fail.
- Learn how to spot problem projects that they need to fix in order to deliver business benefits.
- Feel more confident about creating and monitoring risk management plans and risk mitigation strategies.
Black Swans vs. Staying In The Black
Why most organisations aren’t brought down by “Black Swan” events, but by a failure to stay in the black.
Failure Is Infectious, and Avoidable
How one failed project or programme can lead to others and what you need to do to prevent contagion.
Throw Away Bad Apples!
How to recognise and stop failing projects that cost your organisation a fortune, and the people and behaviours that cause them to happen.
The Case For a Plan B
Why getting your project and programme teams to prepare for the worst leads to the best possible outcome.
How To Create Plan A
There’s no better way to overcome cost and schedule risks than through proper planning. Why collaborative planning works and how you do it.
Bryan Barrow works with Project Management Office (PMO) Managers, Directors and leadership teams that are struggling to execute strategy and as a result are failing to realise key business benefits. For over 20 years Bryan has run his own project management consultancy and training company and has recently led the IT system remediation work-stream for a world-leading manufacturing organisation. Bryan is the author of 'The Project Planning Workshop Handbook’, 'Stakeholder Management’ and ‘Project Definition’.
This event is suitable for professionals with up to an intermediate level of experience.
APM Body of Knowledge 6th edition reference