Crossrail strategic projects director to speak at APM Conference
Posted by APM on 11th Feb 2015
- Dont miss out,book your place today
John is also director of the programme partner Transcend, a joint venture between CH2M HILL, AECOM and Nichols. As such he is the lead for the innovation programme, specific complex projects and heads up the programme partner joint venture.
Previously he led the High Speed 2 Efficiency Challenge Programme team, a multidisciplinary team seeking significant savings for the project. The focus was on collaborative working, applying Building Information Modelling, off-site manufacture and optimised design guides and standards. The team identified more than 1bn of potential savings from the Phase 1 programme.
Prior to that he led the CH2M HILL UK Government Infrastructure team, primarily focussing on defence, but he was also active in urban regeneration and economic growth within the UK and in looking at disaster relief and post conflict reconstruction/development.
John will look to bust the myth of innovation on infrastructure projects and programmes, as it is often associated with risk and therefore increasing cost or time. This reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of innovation and the full benefits that can result from it.
Crossrail is the first major infrastructure programme to set up and run an innovation programme, so John will cover some of the characteristics, benefits and lessons learned from his experience and how the industry might consider innovation in the future.
Full list of speakers:
- Opening speaker -Dr Ben Goldacre, award-winning writer and "Bad Science" columnist for The Guardian
- Closing Speaker- Matthew Syed, award-winning sports journalist and Commonwealth Games champion
- Geraldine Barker, director at the National Audit Office
- Caroline Blackman, director for Laing O'Rourke
- Manon Bradley, development director, Major Projects Association
- Jason Dalrymple, senior project manager, NATS
- Adrian Dooley, lead author ofthe Praxis Framework
- Dr Linda Holbeche, co-director of Holbeche Partnership
- Bridget Jackson, audit manager at the National Audit Office
- John Pelton MBE, programme partner director (Transcend), Crossrail
- Dr David Pendleton, co-founder of Edgecumbe Group
- Plus more speakers to be announced soon.
This years conference will focus on uncovering myths that surround project management and help increase the likelihood of successful project delivery.
Those who attend will also receive copy of the best-selling books:Bad Pharmabyopening speaker Dr Ben GoldacreandBounce: The Myth of talent and the power of practicebyclosing speaker Matthew Syed.