WiPM's AGM, much-anticipated video launch and a super presentation on engaging talent in the PM profession
The APM Women in Project Management (WiPM) SIG (specific interest group) held their AGM on Thursday 18th June 2015.
This event provided the much-anticipated opportunity to launch the SIG's new video which focusses on attracting new talent to the project management profession and the gender underrepresentation therein.
After the AGM meeting and the first showing of their video, APM WiPM SIG were delighted to welcome Bridget Barlett; Deputy Chief Executive of the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) & Chair of the CIC (Construction Industry Council) Diversity Panel - a collaborative forum for construction disciplines and professional bodies to identify and promote diversity policy and activities
In this session Bridget explored some initiatives to address the existing context in construction related, STEM and other professions. She explained how career decisions are influenced or can be altered and led a discussion on how to influence and make a difference in engaging with a broad talent base at all levels.
The discussions covered such topics as:
- How diverse is your project and programme team?
- What is the profile of new entrants?
- Are you facing a skills gap?
- Does your team reflect the talent you know is out there?
- Do you want to make a difference but don’t have the tools and resources to assist you?
- Are you aware of how you can positively engage with the next generation of talented project managers and project support personnel?
The session explored:
- Challenges in the current context
- Initiatives by other organisations to encourage diverse talent
- Opportunities for individuals to influence the current context and make a difference
The presentation slides for this event can be viewed below: