COMPETENCE 13: STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT AND COMMUNICATION MANAGEMENT
The ability to work with people, both internally and externally, to build support to achieve intended outcomes.
Stakeholder engagement is understanding who needs to be engaged and influenced, and ensuring ongoing commitment. Communication management ensures the exchange of relevant and timely information to support the successful delivery of a change initiative and inform decision making.
Knowledge of ways to identify and analyse stakeholder interests, requirements and levels of influence.
Determine stakeholder interests, requirements and levels of influence for a change initiative.
- Ways to identify stakeholder positions and rationale.
- How to recognise the signs of negative behaviours, either conscious or unconscious (body language, tone of voice), which can have unintended consequences.
- Ways to actively manage resistance.
- The techniques available to maximise the support of champions.
Knowledge of the importance of a stakeholder engagement and communication plan.
Produce stakeholder engagement and communication plans.
- The importance of effective stakeholder engagement for the successful transition to the business.
- Ways that the message can be tailored to achieve the desired impact.
Knowledge of the range of communication methods and media available.
Employ relevant communication methods and media to meet stakeholder requirements and expectations. Disseminate clear, timely and relevant information to stakeholders.
- The different channels available and their appropriate application based on messaging, recognising the positive impact that inclusive language can have.
- The need to tailor messaging, considering stakeholders’ preferences (use of data, stories, visual).
- Ways of gaining appropriate contributions from engagement, using appropriate media.
Knowledge of the need for feedback routes for stakeholders.
Obtain and respond to feedback from stakeholders which may have an impact on a change initiative.
- The importance of recognition for the success of a change.
- Different ways to obtain feedback.
- Ways of determining appropriate responses to the changing needs of stakeholders, the business and a change initiative.
Knowledge of methods to monitor the impact of engagement of communication and stakeholder plans.
Monitor the effectiveness of stakeholder engagement and communication plans, adjusting when necessary to respond to changing needs.
- The level of contribution/interaction.
- The factors that indicate success.
- The positive and negative signs that reflect stakeholders’ attitudes, behaviours and visibility.
- The need for ongoing adjustment of the plans considering any changes.