COMPETENCE 17: DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The ability to build and maintain an inclusive environment that embraces a diverse culture.
Diversity and inclusion need to be considered as workplace environments are increasingly made up of individuals with different backgrounds, needs, abilities and ways of working. There is an opportunity within change initiatives to proactively address the institutionalised inequalities that may exist, by being aware and treating people fairly.
Knowledge of the value of difference.
Proactively research the different kinds of diversity and how they can impact the way people work. Recognise personal bias and cultural norms that influence perspective and judgement.
Knowledge of factors that create a positive working environment.
Actively identify and engage with the diverse skill sets and perspectives that constitute a team, to create and sustain a positive, inclusive working environment and address any potential barriers.
- Acknowledgement of the different cultural norms and beliefs and the value they could add, and the need for inclusive language.
- The factors that contribute to a psychologically safe environment, leading to an open and honest culture.
- The range of skills available to create flexibility within the team.
- Consideration of the location of team members and ways that togetherness can be achieved, being aware of any workplace accessibility needs.
- The need to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that all individuals have a fair chance.
Knowledge of enabling factors.
Maximise the opportunities presented by a diverse team and lead them to a common purpose.
- Ways in which to include diversity and recognition of the value of difference.
- The complexity of temporary teams, and how differences can be managed to achieve a common purpose.
- Ways to encourage ideas and respectful challenge.
- The impact of different leadership styles to maximise opportunities.
- The contributions that can be made by individual team members.
Knowledge of the organisational culture.
Be able to communicate effectively in a diverse community to create and sustain an inclusive workplace. Understand how to establish a cohesive culture that supports both organisational governance and appropriate values and behaviours.
- Ways to communicate the values and beliefs that drive behaviours at an organisational and individual level in a meaningful way.
- How individual experiences can contribute to improvements and changes to culture.
- Recognition that multiple dimensions of culture exist, and acknowledgement of the need to create an inclusive and diverse cultural competence at all levels.
- The balance of priorities within the organisation and active acceptance of the need to treat people fairly.
Knowledge of ways in which to treat people fairly.
Actively explore and respond to signs of bias that could impact individual and/or team cohesion and performance.
- The appreciation of individual needs and the fair adjustments that may need to be made.
- Ways to lead by example, to demonstrate appropriate behaviours and communication.
- Ways to adapt in order to facilitate contributions from all team members and acknowledgement of when communication is required.
- Recognition that if individuals feel engaged and valued there will be an improvement in team performance and solutions.
- How to recognise signs of resistance.