COMPETENCE 20: SOLUTIONS DEVELOPMENT
The ability to determine the optimal solution to satisfy agreed requirements.
Solutions development is the process of ensuring that there is clarity on the problem to be solved, and then of exploring multiple options until a preferred solution is identified and subsequently maintained and refined.
Knowledge of the tools and techniques to be used to identify options to deliver the requirements for a change initiative.
Use appropriate tools and techniques to identify options to deliver the requirements for a change initiative.
- Ways to gain understanding of the requirement priorities and the priorities of the recipients of a change initiative.
- Ways in which options will add value.
- Ways to encourage creative thinking to identify options.
- The link between the life cycle approach and the option to deliver.
Knowledge of how to evaluate and select options to deliver the requirements for a change initiative.
Use appropriate tools and techniques to evaluate and select options to deliver the requirements for a change initiative.
- The criteria to be considered and the business case upon which a change initiative is predicated.
- Ways in which options can be prioritised.
- The benefits of using data to support the options.
- Techniques to identify potential stakeholder bias.
Knowledge of the governance controls to be adhered to.
Document the requirements and selected option for delivery of a change initiative.
- Ways to confirm decisions, informed by the rationale of the business case.
- How the decision can be communicated to relevant stakeholders.
Knowledge of applicable monitoring tools.
Implement an effective monitoring process and refine delivery options as required.
- Ways of delivering the solution and any contingencies that are in place.
- The use of data to inform progress and any actions that may impact related activities and the business case.
- The governance to confirm sign-off for the finished solution.
Knowledge of ways to control change.
Implement the change control process, updating the configuration management system as and when required.
- The governance process to be adhered to.
- Ways of communicating the change to stakeholders.