- 15 May 2018
RSM UK offices 25 Farringdon Street LONDON EC4A 4AB
Book this event
Member ticket: FREE
Non member ticket: £10.00
Are sponsors ‘for Christmas’ or ‘for life’? Have your say
Every year lots of surveys tell us the same things, some of us have been reading for the last 40 years, that more projects fail than succeed. Research has shown that failure is often not down to the programme or project manager performance, instead it is often poor sponsor performance. Actively engaged and effective sponsors is the top driver of project success. This is the first of a series of events and publications by the APM Governance SIG in 2018, where we will focus on sponsorship.
Too few senior managers and executives in organisations do enough to change the culture of project sponsorship and delivery in their organisation, and fail to see that project success starts and ends with them:
- As members of a Board effectively leading and sponsoring change (the enterprise portfolio) and creating the right enterprise culture and capability.
- Effectively undertaking the role of the sponsor of a programme or project to ensure a successful outcome, benefits realisation and value add to the organisation.
This series of events will share how organisations are making effective sponsorship mainstream. At this event, we will hear speakers from Royal Mail and Thames Tideway, followed by a group discussion to consider, for example:
- The role of the sponsor in big projects, for ‘Christmas’ or for the entire life cycle.
- How sponsors (need to) ensure long term benefits are realised?
- What is the difference in the accountability of sponsor and sponsor agent?
- How can we help organisations to signpost the effective deployment of good sponsorship?
- Who makes the best sponsors?
- How can project managers help to develop effective sponsors?
Danny Trup has been Project Sponsor for Thames Tideway for three and a half years. The project will create a cleaner, healthier river Thames, reducing discharges from the sewerage system built over 150 years ago. Danny will explain the sponsor’s role, in both mobilising this exciting project and advancing the vision to reconnect London with the Thames. With approaching 30 years’ experience of delivering infrastructure, Danny has executed roles as contractor, project manager and client sponsor.
Peter Horsted is a highly experienced senior professional in the world of transformational change, working currently for Royal Mail. He is presently leading a programme of work entitled “Journey Assurance”, of which one of the four strands is developing and deploying a toolkit for sponsors to use in an engaging way with support mechanisms included. He is passionate about personal and profession development at all levels, and views working with sponsors in a more engaging and joined up way as one of the next logical steps in helping projects and programmes deliver on their promises.
Peter is an APM Honorary Fellow and RPP.
Royal Mail scooped the coveted APM Project Management Company of the Year award in 2016.
This event is suitable for professionals with an intermediate level of experience.
APM Body of Knowledge reference