Career journey from the UK to Australia, and insights into how professional qualifications and designations have been of value through James’ career path. This webinar was held on 19 January 2021.
This interactive webinar touched on project management as a career choice. James started as an engineer becoming a Chartered Professional Engineer before becoming a Chartered Project Professional.
The talk ran through:
- Starting at Rolls-Royce PLC and the value of an accredited training scheme, critical path and dashboards.
- Working as a project manager for Racal Instruments an R&D company, developing bleeding edge telcom technology and rolling up your sleeves, team work and iterative based planning.
- Being humble, getting a job in a new country and taking calculated risks.
- Leveraging experience to become an Axelos trainer and the learnings from training.
- Running and supporting large > AU$1b complex programs and undertaking gateway and health check reviews.
The talk also ran through five principles leveraging a 20 year project management career and 10 years as CEO of PMLogic, a well-known and respected Australian project management company, covering off:
- The need to have a vision be purposeful in what you do and invest time in.
- The importance of people and building strong relationships that want you to succeed and you can help succeed.
- The difference and value of qualifications and certifications.
- The impact of digital on project management and how to take advantage to aid your project or program, and
- Insights into performance metrics and contemporary thinking in how to define and measure success.
James has very kindly allowed his presented material to be made available for viewing. The webinar recording on YouTube is now available in our APM resources area and also embedded below for reference.
James Bawtree ChPP FAPM, PMLogic
James is passionate about delivering digitally driven programs to improve the way people and organisations deliver their strategic objectives. He has had over 20 years’ experience in all major facets of strategy implementation and program management including: roles as strategic advisor, program director and manager, project manager, organisational change manager, PMO manager and Gateway / health check / maturity review lead consultant.
James also has trained, coached and mentored over 1000 sponsors, steering committee members, portfolios, program, PMO, change, benefit and project managers with 100% success rate for certified foundation courses and 90% success rate at practitioner level.
He is Non Executive National Board Member and Fellow of APM and the Australian Institute of Project Management (AIPM), a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (MAICD), a Charted Project Professional (ChPP), a Certified Practicing Project Director (CPPD), IPMA Level A® Certified Projects Director and has been independently assessed by PeopleCert as an Approved Trainer in AgileSHIFT®, MSP®, P3O® and PRINCE2 Agile®.
He coaches executives in how to deliver their strategies leveraging PMLogic’s principle-based strategy implementation method, he also has hands-on, in-depth working understanding of leading in complex environments and resources.
James is also an adjunct professor at Australia’s top universities (USyd, UTS, WSU & QUT) running Master Classes for Masters of Project Management cohorts.
This event is suitable for professionals with up to an intermediate level of experience.
APM Body of Knowledge 7th edition reference
|3.3.6||Continuing professional development (CPD)|