Former APM chair John McGlynn has been appointed to the role of Universal Credit Programme board chair.
John is a director for Atkins, a member of the SNC Lavalin Group, one of the world’s leading engineering, design and project management organisations.
He became a trustee of APM in 2014 and chaired the Board of Trustees from 2016 to 2020. During this time APM received its Royal Charter and John chaired the APM project board which established the Chartered Project Professional (ChPP) standard for the project delivery profession.
John has a 35-year career successfully delivering complex projects and programmes in the UK, Europe and Middle East. Recent projects include:
- supporting the UK Ministry of Defence in complex acquisition;
- supporting global manufacturing and support organisations in developing critical national infrastructure;
- leading modernisation and transformation programmes for overseas clients.
The role of Universal Credit Programme board chair:
- provides external advice, expertise and challenge, to inform the decision making process for delivering the Universal Credit programme;
- leads and facilitates discussions at Programme Board meetings ensuring decisions are made appropriately;
- gives advice on the operational and delivery implications of Universal Credit policy and plans proposals;
- provides constructive, independent support, guidance and robust challenge to the board on the progress and implementation of the programme plan;
- provides management advice to the DWP Permanent Secretary and Universal Credit senior responsible officer;
- ensures integrity of financial information and that financial controls and systems and risk management are robust and defensible.
APM would like to congratulate John on his new role.