Who leads a project to success - sponsors or project managers
Posted by APM on 11th Jul 2012
- The Milton Keynes chapter of the Midlands branch recently held an event in a brand new venue offered to them by Network Rail who recently occupied a new location in The Quadrant, Milton Keynes. The expertise of Tim Coucher, Programme Manager for railtrack presented his thoughts on project sponsorship and gave an overall approach to the National Centre Programme. A founder member of the Governance SIG, Miles Dixon re-iterated the concerns and issues and help remove some of the darker sides to leading successful projects.
Three workshops followed the presentations to discuss several debatable issues:
• Who [should] manage the project managers
• What makes a good sponsor
• Abuses of power over projects – how do we prevent the ‘unblocker’ creating bottle necks
• Do sponsors understand their role and how can we help to improve this
The cries from the audience of fantastic venue and one of the best events they have attended.
Copies of the presentation can be found by clicking the link below
Share this page
As part of my work as a P3M consultant working in and around the UK Civil Service, we have used APM’s Conditions for Project Success report to create a project health-check tool