Resource management? I've got Excel and half a day a week thank you. What else do I need?
There is a perception in some quarters that resource management is either what you do in SAP or is what line managers do in Excel to keep track of what their folks are up to – that it is either ‘local’ or ‘macro’ – but the two perspectives are too difficult to join together.
However, effective resource management is the steel frame of the portfolio management building. If we are to realise the benefits of doing the right things successfully, then we need to be able to join up the strategic and the tactical resource pictures. People say “we can’t plan with resources” – I respond “you can, but you just don’t”.
- How much organisation structure is a limiting/enabling factor in successfully managing resources?
- Is there a more effective approach to managing resources than managing demand?
- Does prioritisation have to be a fight to balance BAU and Projects?
- Why not make BAU and change planning use common consistent tools on a database?
- Why is resource allocation not always a clear process?
- Why don’t mature organisations understand their resource capabilities, support roles and controls?
- Why do we under estimate the implementation of resource management as a technical project rather than a business change programme?
- Can we not engage the right stakeholders at the right levels and deal with the underlying problems, not just the symptoms?
Is this really too difficult or can we, with the right vision and roadmap – devour the elephant after all? I say – put on the brave trousers and evangelise!
I’m at the Best Practice User Group (28 June, QE11 Centre, London) hosting a round table on this for those that want to chat more
Share this page
Login or Register to leave a comment:
The Portfolio Management SIG hosted another very well-received conference on 11 May in London. Over 110 people from a wide variety of business sectors heard from a diverse range of presenters who focussed on today’s challenges.
Three workshops were held at this year’s PFM conference, Maximising value from portfolio management, on Thursday 17 May. As promised, the slides used at each one are now available, along with a short summary of the outputs/conclusions.