Push for progress: International perspectives on International Women’s Day webinar
Posted by Maya Creasey on 26th Feb 2018
Strategic integration of social media to make it 'future' fit for practice
To mark the global celebration of International Women’s Day (IWD), APM WiPM SIG explores the 2018 ‘push for progress’ theme and social media strategies for projects and raising visibility.
In this international themed interactive webinar on Thursday 8 March, Teri Okoro outlined some of the issues arising from the 2018 IWD theme – ‘push for progress’. The content highlighted international similarities from her research, APM/ SIG initiatives, and lessons that can be learnt and shared.
Linky van der Merwe provided a brief insight into her career journey as an IT PM in South Africa, her initiatives to support up and coming PMs, her Success Stories Shared Initiative of publishing project stories from experienced project managers. This was followed by her main presentation on strategies for PMs on how to use social media beneficially for their projects and how to raise their personal profiles. She will share insights from Europe, North and South America, Asia and South Africa, as well as from her own experience.
From this webinar, delegates took away:
- International overview of women in project management.
- A practical social media strategy framework.
- Use cases for social media on projects as well as benefits and barriers to overcome.
- Study findings on smartphone apps for projects.
- Perspectives on contributing to the push for progress.
Linky van der Merwe has been a professional project manager for close to 20 years. She is founder of Virtual Project Consulting, an online management consulting business, with the mission to provide best practice project management advice and to recommend and provide resources to aspiring and existing project managers. She’s been a blogger for the past eight years and a contributing author to “The Strategic Integration of Social Media into the Project Management Practice”.
She is a well-known project management contributor in the online world, with a passion for delivery through projects.
Teri Okoro MBA FAPM is a Registered Project Professional (RPP), Architect , Founder and Director of TOCA consultancy. She represents APM on the Construction Industry Council Diversity Panel and is a committee member and past Chair of APM WiPM SIG. She has written and presented internationally on women in project management and recently published “Scorecard of the Profession : Project, Programme and Portfolio Management in Africa Research Report 201” via her P3MAfrica initiative.
This webinar is suitable for professionals with all levels of experience.
Linky and Teri have very kindly allowed their presented material to be made available for viewing.
Questions raised during the recording have been reviewed and together with the responses published below.
- Projectified with PMI
- PM Podcast by OSP International
- PM for the Masses by Cesar Abeid
- People and Projects by Andy Kaufman
- Fix my project chaos by Elise Stevens
Upcoming Women in Project Management SIG conference
Tuesday 25 September 2018
Empowerment – giving women the skills and tools to become high-performing project managers and become leaders in their field. The conference will be broken down into three key areas:
1. Empowering Teams – incorporating sessions on situational leadership and high performing teams.
2. Empowering Yourself – covering coaching/development workshops, including “You don’t ask, you don’t get” workshop on asking difficult questions.
3. Mini Master Delivery Series – incorporating Delivery Skills and Agile in a case study approach to delivery stories.
Please make sure you have joined the WiPM SIG community to receive updates.
Share this page
Welcome to the Winter Women in Project Management SIG Newsletter 2017
Welcome to the Autumn Women in Project Management SIG Newsletter 2017