Stakeholder engagement, communications or knowledge on working abroad – who cares?
Posted by Maya Creasey on 21st Nov 2017
The People SIGs output in recent months has been based on the excellent work of the Stakeholder Engagement Focus Group (SEFG).
After publishing their many webpages, the group needed some feedback on the content and navigation from APM members and other users.
On Thursday 16 November the People SIG held an afternoon workshop in London, with the aim of bringing people together to share their good and bad practice knowledge and help to shape improvements for the future to assist others.
The afternoon had three parallel workshop streams, where the 29 attendees provided much of the content from their own knowledge.
The workstream looked at the topic Communication in Projects.
- How could you set SMART objectives for your communications?
- What should people do because of your communication?
- What channels of communications are there - what works and why?
- What should a communication plan look like?
- How could you measure and evaluate the effectiveness of your communications?
The communication stream had slides to support their discussion.
2) Stakeholder Engagement
The workstream looked at refining and examining the existing SEFG website content.
- Explored and gave feedback on the stakeholder engagement resources on the APM website.
- Proposed the direction for further development and research.
- Networked and shared stakeholder-related experiences and good practices.
The Stakeholder Engagement stream was an interactive review on their current resources.
3) Working Abroad
The workstream looked at the people issues related to International Working.
- Explored and shared what would be useful knowledge before going to work abroad.
- Discussed the content for and then created a revised template for information gathering.
- Discussed and determined the most appropriate methods of output e.g. print, Social Media etc.
The Working Abroad stream was an interactive discussion.
The SEFG have already implemented many of their findings from the workshop, and the Communication workstream and International workstream are taking their actions in the next financial year.
APM People SIG Chair
Share this page
Why is stakeholder engagement so important to the project management community? In my experience, the best way to work out how to do something is to start with why you need to do it...
Paul shared his experiences of project stakeholder engagement, from his early days as the head of stakeholder engagement for the London Congestion Charging Project, and most recently, as Strategic Advisor on the post Grenfell Buildings Safety Programme.
The improving the effectiveness of communications webinar write up and resources, following the APM People SIG webinar on Tuesday 11 July 2017.