Inspiring positive change
‘Inspiring positive change’ is the title of the refreshed APM strategy. Now that APM is the chartered body for the project profession, we have refocused our strategy to reflect not only our new status as a chartered body but also to support our members to meet the challenges we face in today’s changing and complex world.
We recognise the challenges faced by the profession and in our capacity as a modern, professional body, we need to continue to adapt. We aim to provide the professional standards and framework to build a community of credible, capable and trusted project delivery professionals delivering effective change in all sectors to all stakeholders.
A world in which all projects succeed with project management as a life skill for all
Inspiring positive change
While our vision remains ambitious, challenging and radical, we recognise that to deliver it we need to inspire everyone to understand the contribution they can make to project success. Our profession faces many challenges, there are still too many projects which fail, successful practice is too frequently ignored and failure often lies beyond the boundaries of traditional project management.
The new vision is a response to these challenges – therefore, in addition to raising the profile of project management as a profession and establishing it as a desirable career of choice, we wish to reach out to different communities and generations and establish project management as a core skill for all.
Inspiring communities to deliver meaningful change for societal benefit by advancing the art, science, theory and practice of project management.
This new mission represents a significant shift towards a more outward and inclusive focus for APM, aligning with our charitable objectives and our belief in a more adaptive and diverse profession aligned to delivering societal benefit.
Our mission is underpinned by five key objectives, which set out a clear direction of travel for APM:
- Chartered standard: Successfully position, develop and launch the chartered standard to become the accepted benchmark standard for project professionals.
- Membership growth: Increase the public understanding of how project management drives successful project delivery. Accelerate the growth, diversity and global reach of APM’s membership by engaging with new sectors and communities.
- Knowledge and research: Further develop, with academic and corporate partner support, an innovative knowledge and research programme which adds value to the profession.
- Collaborate and engage: Accelerate the universal adoption of project management by people delivering change through collaboration and partnerships.
- Organisational innovation: Define and build APM as the model of a sustainable professional body for the 21st century
As the chartered body for the project profession we have new responsibilities but with our refreshed strategy we can enhance the status and recognition of project management as a means of delivering effective change that improves our economy and society.