NEC4: The good, the bad, and the ugly, Part 1: Contract strategy changes webinar
Posted by Maya Creasey on 14th Nov 2017
The NEC4 family of contract was completely updated in July this year. On Tuesday 14 November the first of this two part webinar series took place with an independent review highlighted the (mainly) good, the bad and ugly changes in the update on Contract strategy.
The NEC family of contracts is now not just used widely in the civil engineering and construction industries, but also the power, water; oil & gas; IT and consultancy sectors both in the UK and abroad.
It’s original objectives were, compared with existing contract forms, to:
- be more flexible in terms of what it can be used for and the contract strategies that can be adopted;
- have greater clarity and simplicity, so that it is easier to understand and use; and
- stimulate good project management.
The review was presented by Dr Jon Broome who has been involved in the NEC’s development since 1993 when he started the world’s first PhD on it under one of it’s co-instigators. While he was not involved in NEC4’s development :
- his contribution to NEC’s development was acknowledged in the second and third editions,
- he has authored the top selling and Amazon rated book on it,
- is co-author of the only independent eLearning on it,
- has given over a 1,000 days of training on all aspects of it and,
- he had numerous consultancy assignment from ‘front-end’ contract strategy and drafting projects to ‘tail-end’ dispute and expert witness assignments.
While an enthusiast for the form, he is not blind to its deficiencies.
Jon is also the past Chair, and current deputy Chair, of the Contracts and Procurement SIG.
This webinar content is suitable for professionals with an intermediate level of experience.
The slides have been listed on Slideshare and the webinar recording on YouTube are now available in our APM resources area and also below for reference.
NEC4 webinar series
Part 2: Engineering & construction contract clause changes
This has been pre-recorded and the write up and resources published on Tuesday 21 November.
Share this page
NEC4: The good, the bad, and the ugly, Part 2: Engineering & construction contract clause changes webinar, 21 November 201721 November 2017
The NEC4 family of contract was completely updated in July this year. This Part 2 webinar looks at the good, the bad and ugly engineering and construction contract clause changes.