APM Volunteer Steering Group (VSG) nomination and election process
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS NOW OPEN
If you would like to help shape the future of volunteering in APM, we have two vacancies on the APM Volunteers’ Steering Group to run from 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2023. This is an exciting opportunity for all full members or fellows of APM as we continue to develop our volunteering strategy to maximise participation in the chartered body.
We would like to invite our members to put themselves forward for the forthcoming VSG elections, commencing Thursday 4 February.
As the chartered body for the project profession, APM relies on the commitment of its volunteer community for the development and promotion of project, programme and portfolio management. This includes the effective delivery of many wide-ranging activities for the benefit of individuals, organisations and society including events, publications and product development. The APM volunteering strategy aims to enhance participation and impact of volunteering in APM by broadening the range of activities available to an increasingly diverse range of people.
- Nominations open: Thursday 4 February 2021
- Nominations close: Thursday 11 March 2021
- In the event of there being more nominations than vacancies, an election will be held
- Eligible nominees' supporting statements will be published week commencing 15 March 2021, for the SIG and Branch committee members to review
- Elections will take place: Monday 22 to Sunday 28 March 2021
- New committee confirmations: Wednesday 31 March 2021
- The standard elected term is for two years, commencing 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2023
How to get involved
If you are a full or fellow individual member interested in joining the VSG, you can do this by simply self-nominating, where you will be required to complete a supporting statement of up to 250 words.
We ask you to do this no later than 5pm GMT on Thursday 11 March 2021, when the online portal will close.
Acknowledgement of safe receipt will be made by email. If you do not receive this, please check with the Volunteering Manager to see whether or not your nomination has been received.
Submit your nomination
- An individual member in the full or fellow grades
- A minimum of one year’s experience as an APM volunteer within the last three years
- Nominations must be accompanied by a Proposer and Seconder, who are both individual APM members
Note: Participation in the process is subject to the Chief Executive and Chair of VSG confirming the candidate is in good standing. This will include an assessment of any code of professional conduct sanctions or ongoing proceedings.
- Be an exemplar of the ethical practice expected of a professional
- Have a good reputation amongst his/her peers, professionally and outside of the PM profession
- Have sound knowledge of the work of volunteers in a professional association and evidence of achievement in that field
- Be able to provide sufficient capacity and time to the role
The role is to assist the Chief Executive and volunteers with co-ordinating, promoting, overseeing, challenging and supporting volunteer groups (full details of the role and duties can be found in the VSG Terms of Reference.)
Support and commitment
This is an unpaid role, but reasonable expenses will be paid in accordance with APM’s expenses policy. The role is likely to entail up to 6 meetings per year (a mix of face to face [usually in London] or virtual), with approximately 2 hours' reading time per meeting as well as out of meeting correspondence and conference calls. The nomination will be made in accordance with the ‘appointee expectations’ criteria and guidance as laid out in the APM Committee Terms of Appointment.
The overall principle is that the VSG membership should include a majority from the volunteer community. The composition is therefore as follows:
- Volunteers Champion (Chair) 1
- Elected members 4
- Appointed members 2
- Chief Executive (or appointed nominee) 1
- Volunteering Manager 1