APM Volunteer Steering Group (VSG)
2022-2024 VSG vacancies nomination and election timeline
- Nominations opened: Monday 24 January 2022
- Nominations closed: Thursday 10 March 2022
- In the event of there being more nominations than vacancies, an election will be held
- Eligible nominees' supporting statements will be published week commencing 14 March 2022, for the SIG and Branch committee members to review
- Elections will take place: Monday 21 to Sunday 27 March 2022
- New committee confirmations: week commencing Monday 28 March 2022
- The standard elected term is for two years, from 1 April 2022 to 31 March 2024
The role is to assist the Chief Executive and volunteers with co-ordinating, promoting, overseeing, challenging and supporting volunteer groups (full details of the role and duties can be found in the VSG Terms of Reference.)
Support and commitment
This is an unpaid role, but reasonable expenses will be paid in accordance with APM’s expenses policy. The role is likely to entail up to 6 meetings per year (a mix of face to face [usually in London] or virtual), with the potential for some reading time per meeting as well as out of meeting correspondence and conference calls. The nomination will be made in accordance with the ‘appointee expectations’ criteria and guidance as laid out in the APM Committee Terms of Appointment.
- An individual member in the full or fellow grades
- A minimum of one year’s experience as an APM volunteer within the last three years
- Nominations must be accompanied by a Proposer and Seconder, who are both individual APM members
Note: Participation in the process is subject to the Chief Executive and Chair of VSG confirming the candidate is in good standing. This will include an assessment of any code of professional conduct sanctions or ongoing proceedings.
- Be an exemplar of the ethical practice expected of a professional
- Have a good reputation amongst his/her peers, professionally and outside of the PM profession
- Have sound knowledge of the work of volunteers in a professional association and evidence of achievement in that field
- Be able to provide sufficient capacity and time to the role
The overall principle is that the VSG membership should include a majority from the volunteer community. The composition is therefore as follows:
- Volunteers Champion (Chair) 1
- Elected members 4
- Appointed members 2
- Chief Executive (or appointed nominee) 1
- Volunteering Manager 1
Join Ewelina Kruk, APM volunteer, to learn more about volunteering with the APM, and the vacancies on the VSG. View webinar.
As project professionals we are often (usually) very busy working on projects and I often found myself thinking what more can I do for the profession? One answer was to volunteer... Read more.
Enlist, offer, present oneself, chip in, sign up. These are exactly what volunteering is... Read more.
"I started volunteering for APM as a Graduate Ambassador in 2018. I visited schools and universities across London and the south east, introducing them to careers in project management and explaining my journey to chartership" - Daniel Pollitt... Read more.
Join the VSG
As the chartered body for the project profession, APM relies on the commitment of its volunteer community for the development and promotion of project, programme and portfolio management. This includes the effective delivery of many wide-ranging activities for the benefit of individuals, organisations and society including events, publications and product development. APM aims to enhance participation and impact of volunteering in APM by broadening the range of activities available to an increasingly diverse range of people.